Thesis Blog

Updating the Thesis, Abstract, Outline, Bibliography, and Prototype

 

During the past week, I have made progress on updating my thesis and abstract.  I really like the new focus on learning how to play table-top games through digital applications.  As an educator and table-top player who has struggled many times learning new games on my own, I believe that this new direction for my thesis will be successful with both the visual and written components of my thesis.

Updated Thesis:
Digital board games using three-dimensional models, gesture-based interactions, and automated tutorials enables the player to quickly learn the complex emerging systems present in modern table-top games

Updated Abstract:
Modern table-top board games are challenging for new players to learn because of the complexity of the rules, physical components, and implied player interactions. All of these components play a role in the complex systems that the player has to understand in order to learn how to play a game and experience the emergent gameplay that was designed. By using three-dimensional interfaces and gesture-based interactions, board games can be easier to learn in a digital form.

Steven Johnson states that “emergence arises out of complexity.” This complexity can lead to accessibility issues for a new player and can discourage the player from breaking through this wall of systems to play the game. By using a digital environment, these complex game systems found in board games can be illustrated in a meaningful way and enable the gameplay to be more accessible for the new player learning how to play the game.

I have also updated my working bibliography and outline this week:
http://mfa.markkoberlein.com/research/
http://mfa.markkoberlein.com/outline/

I am planning on getting the current visual prototype running on an iPad with gestures and an AR view for the 45-hour review in a few weeks but I have updated the current version with the most recent WebGL player from Unity.  This should make it more compatible across browsers.

http://mfa.markkoberlein.com/prototype/