Thesis Blog

Finishing Thesis Studio II

 

This week I’m finishing up the Thesis Studio II class at SCAD and thought it would be a good time to assess what has been accomplished with my thesis and what I need to work on over the next 3 to 4 months to present and finish my thesis next October.  Coming out of the Thesis I class, I had a good idea of my thesis topic, statement, abstract, and a rough outline of the thesis paper.  I also had a rough mockup of my visual component and static version of my thesis website.  There was an in-between break between Thesis I and II because of other required courses I needed to complete, and I also wanted more time to research to be sure that this topic was something that I wanted to continue.  In between the courses, I continued to research and add to my list of sources and determined that this thesis topic was the best route and I should continue to work on it in Thesis II.

In the Thesis II, I was fortunate to have Prof. Sari Gilbert as my professor.  Through multiple phone conferences and email conversations, she was able to help me refine my thesis statement and abstract and also help me form a theoretical framework for my thesis which helped me prepare for the 45-hour review.  Prof. Gilbert has experience in the domain of game board design and development which was ideal for me.  She successfully kickstarted the Fujian Trader board game which is based on a 17th-century Chinese trading map.  I appreciated her feedback so much I asked her to be the chair of my thesis committee, and I’m looking forward to her guidance as I finish my thesis.

Here is What I Accomplished In the Thesis Studio II Course:

  • Converted the static HTML version of the website to a WordPress site that is easier to maintain and build out with additional content moving forward.
  • Move my thesis blog from the SCAD blogs to the same website to keep everything together.
  • Refined my thesis statement and abstract
  • Developed a theoretical framework for my thesis
  • Organized and expanded the research section of the website
  • Revised the thesis paper outline
  • Worked on the rough draft of the thesis paper and I’m using the thesis website as the platform that I’m writing the paper on so that I can get feedback from my thesis committee and other colleagues on my work.
  • Continue to develop the visual component and implement a version that is playable on both the web, iPad, and iPhone with some basic UI gesture controls
  • Refined my SCAD portfolio submissions for the 45-hour review
  • Passed the 45-hour review for MFA Candicay which allows me to form my thesis committee and apply for the final thesis course where I will present and defend my thesis next Fall.
  • Confirmed all 3 of my thesis committee members and I will be submitting the final application next week to start the final step of completing my thesis.

What I Have to Work on Next

I’m glad that I have the summer to work on my thesis paper and visual component because I have a lot to of work to do.  I plan to have 90% of all the work finished before next September so that I can spend September and October getting feedback from my committee members before and after I make my presentation.  Then I can spend time revising my paper and testing the visual component.  I’m happy that my research and outline is done. I’m sure I will find more research components while I’m writing, but now I just need to complete the rough draft and start getting feedback on it.

The visual component will be more challenging because I need to have a fully functional digital board game that is playable by a single player. The focus of the game will be the player tutorial that will teach the player the game, but I also want to make sure that the rules and mechanics are built into the game so that any player could play through the game.  My long-term goal is to develop the Dragon’s Claw game to the point where I could release it on the App Stores, but I’m going to have to keep that in check and work on the elements that I need to show for the thesis first.

Here is an updated visual timeline: